Pages

Monday, November 30, 2009

My First ATC!

In the 'crafty' world, what's the best way to get involved with something new?

Join a swap!

I got a hankering to learn about ATCs and start creating them so... I went looking for swaps to join.

The beauty of starting this way: I got a topic, a deadline and someone on the other end expecting an ATC from me!

So, my first ATC went to my swap partner at swap-bot.com and I used an image from The Graphics Fairy, so I wanted to tell you about it here...

The theme for this swap was "Christmas ATC" and the sender (me) had the choice of what to make, as opposed to looking up a profile and creating something in response to what was written there. I'll tell you about other swaps later where you DO look at the profile and work from that.

This allowed me to start way before the swap closed and I was cooking up something quite elaborate, in a way.

I started by searching for an image of an interior Christmas scene and I thought of Karen's wonderful graphic images - I just KNEW I could find something there.

I found these two adorable girls near a fireplace and I had the composition in my mind. I was going to create a door which opened onto this scene.

Here's the total package I sent off to my swap partner:



and some pictures on the way there...


Final layers of the base


Two layers assembled, a 'business card' type ATC, the bits for layer #3 & the 'door' after it was printed, covered in a high quality contact paper, burnished and before I rub off the paper, leaving the ink (from a color printer) a technique I learned recently from artchix.com.


All three layers are assembled for the base. I put some "Diamond Glaze" over the 'tiles' of the fireplace for a 'tile' look & feel. I'd have added more textures if I had the resources & the time!


This angle shows the layers. I printed the image several times (color laser printer) then applied them to 'chipboard' then cut various parts to reveal different things.

The bottom layer was the full image.

The second layer included everything but the inner flame of the fireplace. I actually cut around the girl on the right and bent the 'bricks' which were the side of the fireplace. That layer got the "Diamond Glaze" treatment too.

The top layer included just the two girls and their stockings hanging in the corner.


The completed ATC in the 'open' position

Here's a video showing the ATC in action!




So MANY of the images on Karen's site seem to say 'ATC' to me!

BTW, Karen is having a giveaway and the 'Brag Monday' linky list get some extra entries. Hence the motivation to finally START this blog! If YOU need a little extra motivation to get it going, want to enter the contest, have an interest in various ephemera, here's a good way to get in on the action!





Thanks for looking!

Pam Hoffman

9 comments:

  1. Hi Pam,
    Wow, congratulations on your new blog and on your first ATC!!! That turned out so cute, I love how it's almost like a little book with the cover and all, just darling! With all the great techniques you used, you seem more like an ATC pro than a newbie. Well done!
    Thanks so much for playing along today for "Brag Monday".

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh, thanks for stopping by already! i think i'm gonna love this blog... :)

    pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this is your first ATC, I can't wait to see the next ones. It's wonderful. In fact, feel free to send me an ATC any time you like! I'd be more than happy to send you my address!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I am impressed. You packed so much detail in such a small space. I was thinking of ideas for that image too as it is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a sweet little project!!! great creativity! thanks for sharing it with us all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card. I love that image and the way it is pop dotted for dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very open to swaps if anyone wants to send me info about it! I'll see if I can fit it in and if I can actually DO something like it.

    Thanks for so much comment luv!

    Pam Hoffman
    http://myboyfriendsaysthedarnestthings.blogspot.com/
    http://twitter.com/PamHoffman

    ReplyDelete